It is common to have a difficult time with a complete server environment. Managing an in-house communication platform can be a daunting task for any administrator. It obviously brings with itself lots of problems and issues such as Microsoft exchange information store service. One such error is unable to initialize the Microsoft Exchange information store. Even restarting the services may not fix it. There are multiple such bugs and troubles. Most of them can be solved in few easy steps. The solution for this particular problem where the user can’t start Microsoft Exchange information center has been mentioned in this post. Read the entire context properly and repeat precisely to avoid data loss.
More on the Exchange Server Issue
Microsoft Exchange Information Store Service issue is a common error where a service renders the server incapable of working. It halts the service and displays a message such as mentioned below:
‘Unable to initialize the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service.” – Error 0x8004010f’
The 2007 management pack for MS operations manager consistently keeps track of Windows application log on the machines. It produces the error events which prevents the service from working. It stops all communications and restricts users from sending and receiving emails. An error in Event Viewer is shown in the Application log in the following manner:
Consequences of this Error Event
There is important data stored in the database that may be at a critical risk. It can be a possibility if an administrator can’t start Microsoft Exchange information store. There is private information stored in EDB files such as priv1.edb and pub1.edb. It stores multiple user mailboxes which may become corrupt or inaccessible. There is a chance that the service may be switched by some hacker and data within may be at a serious risk of being lost.
Reasons for Microsoft Exchange Information Store Not Starting Issue
When the service is started, it looks for the default recipient policy in the Exchange Server 2007 and Exchange Server 2010. The possible reason for the occurrence of this error is due to the existence of any of these two following conditions:
- The default policy has been replaced by custom email address policy
- The default policy has been deleted from the email address policies tab
Solution to Fix Unable to Start Microsoft Exchange Information Store Service
Here are the instructions to solve the issue in few simple steps:
- First, go to Start>>Run and type the command “Adsiedit.msc” and click the OK button.
- From the ‘Action’ menu, go to ‘Connect To’ option and click on it.
- Then, a box saying ‘select a well-known naming context’ will appear. Simply go to Configuration option and click OK button.
- Then, go to the email address policy and right-click to open the Properties.
- Now, select the Attribute option and then select purportedSearch. Here make sure the value is((mailNickname=*),
- Then, go to purported Search and select Edit option.
- Next, go to Clear option and type (mailNickname=*) in the Value box. Then, click OK to save the changes.
- Then, go to Attributes and click msExchPolicyOrder. Now, click the Edit option.
- Head to Clear and type in 2147483647 in the Value box. Then, double-click OK option.
- Exit Active Directory Service Interfaces(ADSI) edit.
- Now, restart the server which is running the Exchange Server.
There are different kinds of issues that can occur when working with a large server database. It contains multiple user data which can get corrupt at any point in time. The most difficult one is where an administrator faces unable to initialize the Microsoft Exchange information store error. While multiple problems and bugs, just like can’t start Microsoft Exchange Information Store Service exists. On-premise service is outdated and many organizations have already moved to the cloud platform. They provide great software-as-a-service applications which can be great for usual office tasks. There are simple tools that can help to upgrade to Microsoft cloud such as Exchange to Office 365 Migrator. There is an efficient, reliable and user-friendly product which can be used instead as a convenient or direct approach.